Road Tuning and Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

guricha

Road Tuning and Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

Post by guricha »

Guys,
Hi there, new at the forum, actually my first contact with Nistune i start few weeks ago, and i was interested how safe is road tuning with nistune and which is better air fuel ration sensor to use while tuning ?
thanks in advanced
Guram
PL

Re: Road Tuning and Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

Post by PL »

It's easy enough to get your mixtures right while road tuning but harder to do IGN maps cos you don't have the power measurement that you get on a dyno. So you can't tell if your changes are making improvements. So you need to rely largely on audible knock to tune your IGN maps.

Some guys are quite skilled at road tuning but it does take some practice.

The other problem with road tuning is the obvious danger to/from other road users. If you live in a heavily populated area then this can be a problem. I don't like road tuning any car that's making more than about 200rwkw because things get crazy very quickly.

If you lived out in the country then road tuning would be a viable option. But not so good in the city.

I use an Innovate LM-1 and I'm very happy with it.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Whilst it is possible for one to tune on the road (ie a driver focused on the road, whilst passenger watches AFRs, makes changes etc) legally I will not advise road tuning. It can be dangerous to yourself and other road users.

In Australia, the law stipulate that you owe a duty of care to other road users whilst operating a vehilcle. If an accident ever occoured whilst tuning then the duty of care would be breached opening you upto civil proceedings, not to mention criminal charges by the police.

I see these days there are many lawyer ads in the paper for those who have suffered injuries from a road accident and are 'enitled to compensation' and to add 'no win no fee'. I wouldnt want to be on the other end of that one
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, Matt is right. Road tuning should be avoided if possible. Particularly high powered turbo cars. It just gets too dangerous. A full load pull to redline will put most cars at 180kph or more. You're much better off just paying for some dyno time. It's not that expensive. Many places will be happy to drive your car and operate the dyno while you tune.

Road tuning should be confined to adjusting the finicky low load stuff - which can be done within the law. Obviously you should NEVER try driving the car and using the laptop yourself - I've done this myself and it's just too easy to have a crash. Always have an assitant.

PL
guricha

Post by guricha »

Thanks guys for reply in advanced ,
i know road tuning is not safe for drivers but when the racing track is available its most handy :) i had PLX wide band with dataloging connected through APEXI PFC, but how about Nistune ? while road tuning Nistune is able to datalog air fuel ration in the program or i should just monitor it on the gauge ? Innovate LM-1 can be used by Nistune right ? and its uses com or Usb connector to the PC?

P.S Matt we have try Nistune because i wasn't sure how good is it, i had try before PFC and Vi-pec also but my opinion is Nistune is best solution for Nissan cars. . . we made my car up to 380 HP and 410 NM at rear wheels and i was really happy, am waiting now for turbo upgrade and will proceed but this time with Nistune board :)
here is some of my car pics, and Anthony made really good job with it :)
and Matt you are doing best job mate with Nistune:)

Matt what you think about this products they should work with Nistune or not ? http://www.plxdevices.com/wideband.html
Torque

Post by Torque »

Yes, I agree ... it's no use and too dangerous.

But what can be done is recoding logs I guess.
I did this yesterday just to find out that recording stopped after 3 minutes (don't know why) and I was
expecting an hour of log ... OHH NOO!
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

It is not supposed to stop after 3mins. Ive done several 30-40mins logs before without problems.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

either your wideband or consult disconnected on you so then the logging stopped :(
Torque

Post by Torque »

... must have been a connection problem.
Shame, because I had fuel cut during my drive and was eager to have a look.

I have not fully understood what I have to do to enable recording.

Work logging for non Nistune ECUs the same?
Do I have to be in stream mode?
Do I have to load an address file or/and map?
And can I just log the 4 values I select from the player, or is everything from the consult registers logged?

Would it be possible to enhance the software so that it beeps every 5 or 10 seconds while recording?
Since I was driving I could not check the laptop.
I assume it lost connection :(
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sometimes electrical noise can cause disconnects

Same logging for nistune/standard ECUs
Doesnt matter stream/tuner mode. Recommend streaming for better resolution
All parameters get logged, and you can view any of them later on out of the 4 available for view

Wideband beeps on disconnect. May do the same for consult also
guricha

Post by guricha »

as i understood i should change my M-300 with any other wide band sensor with Serial or USB interface to connect and make workable with Nistune

P.S Matt i have one of PLX products which i have used for PFC, it have 5 volt output for data-logs which i could connect to the datalogit, but as i understand i cant use it anymore for Nistune right ?
Sorry guys i start asking so much questions i just want to start know more for road tuning
thanks in advanced
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

you need to feed the signal into your laptop. This needs either a wideband or DLP A/D converter which has a usb/serial connector

Those will take 5 volts and translate to something we can display
guricha

Post by guricha »

Matt wrote:you need to feed the signal into your laptop. This needs either a wideband or DLP A/D converter which has a usb/serial connector

Those will take 5 volts and translate to something we can display
Matt, is there any online shop where i can order it ? or maybe you can supply me with Nisboard ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

guricha

Post by guricha »

Thanks Matt, i will try to order from them, this days anyway am going to order board, chip tuning is same effective but takes more time wanted for board