Intake Air Temp Sensor

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

klattr1

Intake Air Temp Sensor

Post by klattr1 »

Just was curious if anybody had some data on how accurate the stock 240sx IAT sensors are? I have a supercharged KA24DE and wanted to get some empirical data about the air temps going into the head with the M62 supercharger. I noticed Nistune logs that parameter and I think it could be quite useful.

The only problem is that I need to design an adapter fitting that will plumb the sensor into one of the intake manifold runners...there are mounting areas on the #4 KA24DE runner that can easily be tapped to 1/8" NPT but the IAT sensor doesn't have a threaded end...it has 2 small screws to secure it which I could design the adapter for - just not sure if it will be vulnerable to boost leaks since the surface area around the IAT sensor "flange" is small. I wish there was another Nissan sensor that had a threaded end that I could reuse and that the ECU was calibrated to read it the same way...anyone got any ideas?

Attached is a photo of what the sensor looks like on my 95 240sx...the 97-98's were a little different in the fact that they were secured using a rubber grommet in the airbox instead (which definitely wouldn't work for me)
Attachments
iat_sensor.jpg
240sx 95-96 IAT sensor
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 2505 times
PL

Re: Intake Air Temp Sensor

Post by PL »

We don't get those engines here in Oz, so I haven't seen one of those sensors, but maybe you could remove the sensing element (it'll just be a resistor) and mount it in the fitting of your choosing?

The main problem I can see is that if your fitting isn't insulated somehow from the manifold then you'll be measuring inlet manifold temperature more than inlet air temp.

PL
Adam

Post by Adam »

N15 GA16DE Pulsar has them as well.

Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IATS)
The intake air temperature sensor mounted to the air cleaner
housing, detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal
to the ECM.
The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive
to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the
thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise.
This sensor is not directly used to control the engine system. It
is used only for the on-board diagnosis.

klattr1

Post by klattr1 »

PL wrote: The main problem I can see is that if your fitting isn't insulated somehow from the manifold then you'll be measuring inlet manifold temperature more than inlet air temp.
The actual sensing element seems like it's insulated/isolated from the rest of the housing..it protrudes out and sits right underneath the little arched metal piece.