Knock detection / knock maps etc...

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

enohand

Knock detection / knock maps etc...

Post by enohand »

ok so i have a 1996 infiniti G20 (Nissan primera for you guys on the other side of the pond)

I have a constant knock sensor code, but i belive it is due to faulty sensor. i will be replacing it this weekend.

but i wanted to know if there was any indication i was rnning KNock maps..

when idling i get a few items on the left side of nistune higlighted in red, then when under load, almost (if not all) are red.... is this normal?

is it correct in thinking anything that is lighting up red is currently being used?

i will add more to this post as i can...im at work right now but wanted to start fishiing for info
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Knock detection / knock maps etc...

Post by Matt »

Yes any red (should be pink.... maybe I should pull the colouring back a tad or go for green instead) indicates map is used

Currently for this ECU there is no knock map detection to display if running regular or knock fuel / timing maps so I'm highlighting both on the meantime. Dare say that I must have missed this ECU when going through them all adding in the determination based on ECU knock map memory addresses (there are about 90 different ECU types...)

I've found the memory addresses and flags where knock maps get set and have added this for the next version. In the meantime if you watch your timing values against maptrace on the map you will be able to determine which one it is using if the maps are a number of degrees different in timing for example
sssbassil

Post by sssbassil »

same az above, no dtc tho, just all red

1e000 u13
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Matt,

Yeah, a more subtle colour would be good. I used somebody else's laptop last week (running latest version) and I was wondering what all the red was about. Bit confusing - I was wondering if it was the orange that indicates that maps are empty.

Red is probably not a great choice cos when something goes red you kinda assume there's something wrong or something that requires your immediate attention.

Maybe a subtle green like you said? Or a subtle grey/blue like they use on this forum?? Colours for stuff like this can be deceptively hard to get right.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

- light blue is used to highlight comparison
- pink has now been changed to light green for map highlighting - not an 'alert' style colour
- orange used to indicate potentially empty maps
- red is used to indicate limits exceeded (eg TP gauge values > TP limit)
Episode180

Post by Episode180 »

Nice. I used the latest version for the first time today and was wondering what red/pink colors were (actually thought it was something wrong). Thanks for the color code.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No probs. Manual updates are long overdue but I need to finish software changes first. I'm also looking into improving the icon layout before doing that
enohand

Post by enohand »

Matt wrote:Yes any red (should be pink.... maybe I should pull the colouring back a tad or go for green instead) indicates map is used

Currently for this ECU there is no knock map detection to display if running regular or knock fuel / timing maps so I'm highlighting both on the meantime. Dare say that I must have missed this ECU when going through them all adding in the determination based on ECU knock map memory addresses (there are about 90 different ECU types...)

I've found the memory addresses and flags where knock maps get set and have added this for the next version. In the meantime if you watch your timing values against maptrace on the map you will be able to determine which one it is using if the maps are a number of degrees different in timing for example

so are you stating that in the latest software version Knock deteciton should work? or do you mean on a newer revision of the RT board?
nissangts

Post by nissangts »

Matt wrote:Yes any red (should be pink.... maybe I should pull the colouring back a tad or go for green instead) indicates map is used

If this works then I will have no choice but to ditch .9.22 and jump right to .10.5 or .10.6 :D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've found the memory addresses and flags where knock maps get set and have added this for the next version.
There are two knock detection reporting mechanisms
- Knock map determination (either fuel knock or timing knock map is being used)
- Knock count reporting (amount of knock per cell using special firmware modifications on the board to record this data and pass out through consult)

All ECUs have added knock map determination but only a small amount have knock count firmware modifications at this point