Just installed Tomei 260* on my SR. Neeeed Advice!!!

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Episode180

Just installed Tomei 260* on my SR. Neeeed Advice!!!

Post by Episode180 »

Got Tomei 260* with 12mm lift installed on my redtop sr20det along with a 3 angle valve job and I am looking for some tuning tips to get the best low/cruising power possible and a general direction for fuel and ign wise on whether to + or - values now that I have made the change from stock cams to 260's.

Also I ran into a challenge on stalling on decl :(. I cant imaging driving in traffic like this right now. I read on a post about adjusting the IACV to ramp up its duty cycle (Any feedback on this?) and another post about adjusting the timing decel parameters for neutral and in gear but I have no idea where to begin with that.

Any feedback is well appropriated
PL

Re: Just installed Tomei 260* on my SR. Neeeed Advice!!!

Post by PL »

You shouldn't need to do any major changes. You can normally drop cams like that in with minimal tuning if it was tuned right to start with.

I sometimes increase target idle speed but that's about all. I've not played with decel timing but might be worth a look.

Make sure you have a recirc BOV fitted or stalling on decel will be something you'll become intimately familiar with.

Pete L
Episode180

Post by Episode180 »

Yeh I have the stock recirculation valve. Its only since I reinstalled the head with the 260's the stalling began happening. I'll try the IACV tonight and see if that fixes the stalling so I am thinking its related.

On average would these cams go better with more timing tho, more or less fueling?
PL

Post by PL »

Hard to say. Cylinder filling should theoretically improve up top so you may need to pull a bit of timing. The good thing is that it'll flow more air, which will be picked up by the AFM, so things will tend to self compensate if you know what I mean.

I have sometimes found that getting idle a tad richer rather than leaner will help smooth things out a bit but you're gonna have to check your AFR's and see what's going on.

Make sure you've got all the basic stuff set correctly - base timing at 15 degrees, TPS switch on when throttle is closed and adjust the AAV valve (manual screwdriver adjustment) so that when engine is at target idle speed the AAC valve is around 50%. That then ensures that the ECU is capable of using the AAC valve to stabilise idle. This can make a big difference to idle stability.

PL
Episode180

Post by Episode180 »

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The AAC was at 66%, I manually open the IACV adjuster screw until it went down to 50% +/- 1. Went for a test drive and now no more stalling no matter how low or hi an rpm I switch into neutral. Thanks big time PL, ur a life saver :mrgreen: . cams feel amazing and I am only running 5psi right now(using HKS actuator going to adjust it to 7psi then instal greddy profec b spec 2 EBC) and it feels like 8 or 9psi!!!
PL

Post by PL »

Sweeet! :)

Cams good! SR's ALWAYS respond to a set of cams. I usually just throw Poncams in - and get 20rwkw gain on the dyno every single time - with no losses anywhere.

PL
Episode180

Post by Episode180 »

I thought I was gonna loose some low end power but it feels just as strong as the stock cams down low (according to the butt dyno).
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, that's been my experience too. Apart from making it hard to pass an emissions test there are pretty much no downsides to fitting mild cams to SR turbo engines.

My mate even gets good fuel economy out of his. Comparable to std engine on the open road. And that's running 264 degree cams and 740cc injectors!

PL