How Many Rewrites

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

NewtoNistune

How Many Rewrites

Post by NewtoNistune »

Hi all :). I bought a used idividual licence and ecu with nistune board on and would like to overwrite the existing map.I know you can have a few ecu's on one individual licence and a few files(I presume this means saved maps?), but does overwriting an existing map or even deleting it and starting from scratch use up one of the files, kind of like using a life up?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: How Many Rewrites

Post by Matt »

Using the sync button counts as a single ECU usage. Just connecting, monitoring and logging doesnt
NewtoNistune

Post by NewtoNistune »

Thanks Matt.So when you sync, you are starting the mapping process?Say you wanted to keep fettling with the map over time to improve things like coldstart, would it still count as the same sync, or is each time you change the map a sync?
PL

Post by PL »

If you're working on the same ECU then you can tune as much as you like - there's no limit.

The limits come in if you sync to *different* ECU types. It'll let you load up any address file and any map you want just for "offline" editing - no limits. But when you sync to a vehicle it knows that you're actually using it to tune, so it flags that vehicle type. Once it counts the set number of *different* vehicle types it'll complain.

The idea is that a single user would probably wanna do their own car and maybe a few friend's cars. So that's all covered. And you can tune them as many times as you want. But if you're tuning more than 5 cars you're considered a professional tuner and should probably get a tuner's license. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Matt, please correct me if any of those details are wrong.

PL
NewtoNistune

Post by NewtoNistune »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have no problems with the individual licence, think it's great value for money.I just wasn't too sure on how many times the map could be fiddled with.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

yeah thats correct what PL wrote
ricardomendes

Post by ricardomendes »

hi, the rewrites that you are talking are the hardware or for the licence?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

With the hardware it is capable of over 100,000 burns

Licence sync/burns are limited to number of vehicles (5 different ECU IDs) and vehicle types (3 different address files)
ricardomendes

Post by ricardomendes »

Matt wrote:With the hardware it is capable of over 100,000 burns
is possible to know how much we have now?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

not really. Its each time you hit the burn button. Should be only a few times per each tune
s200rat

Post by s200rat »

is possible to know how much we have now?
it would be a bit of a pointless number.

hardware capable of 100,000 writes.
say you flash the tune 5 times every day you drove the car. that would give you 54 years of daily tuning..... so i think its safe to say dont worry about approaching your write limit let alone still having a driving licence/nissan/engine left when you reach the limit :D
NewtoNistune

Post by NewtoNistune »

So how do I go on with the tuner mapping my car?I have downloaded the software onto my laptop but not entered the reg key yet as didn't know whether tuner would want to do it on their own laptop and don't particularly want to leave my machine with them.
So if they enter the reg key on their laptop, am I also able to enter it on mine?I'd like to keep all the ID's/files for myself as who knows what car I'll have down the line.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yeah you can use it on both. IDs are per laptop so what he uses will be independent from what you use
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

NewtoNistune wrote: So if they enter the reg key on their laptop, am I also able to enter it on mine?I'd like to keep all the ID's/files for myself as who knows what car I'll have down the line.
But of course You are giving Yours licence as gift to him :)...
NewtoNistune

Post by NewtoNistune »

It could lead to the mapper buying a tuner licence though if he likes how it all works and sees a market for it.