Ca18det tuning

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

jey_253

Ca18det tuning

Post by jey_253 »

Not new to tuning but first time with a boost tune. Anyone have anything suggestions or bin. for a ca18det stock maf and injectors, sr20turbo, fmic, and 3in turbo back exhaust. Also running a z32 fuel pump currently without a fpr
jey_253

Re: Ca18det tuning

Post by jey_253 »

jey_253 wrote:Not new to tuning but first time with a boost tune. Anyone have anything suggestions or bin. for a ca18det stock maf and injectors, sr20turbo, fmic, and 3in turbo back exhaust. Also running a z32 fuel pump currently without a fpr
Alright got things up and going and noticed timing running retarded and possibly off of knock map. also consult sometimes gets hung up for a few secs.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

What is happening with the consult? Does it freeze for a few seconds or disconnect completely?

With recent improvements to consult, if the USB datastream gets corrupted by excessive noise (electrical or ignition) then the PC will drop the connection

We then 'reenumerate' the USB port and reconnect in the background, so you dont need to manually reconnect

If you get this happening often, check that your engine and ECU are adequately grounded. The USB connector should be installed to the ECU housing where the diagnostic pot is located to ground the USB shield

Ie everything should be grounded to reduce the effects of electrical noise affecting communications

The timing figure in consult are the numbers from the 'knock' map. We found from investigation, that really isnt a knock map for CA18

The CA18 is a bit different to most other Nissan ECUs and funny with timing. It uses figures from both timing maps and uses them together. Easiest to make both maps use the same numbers, and this will display correctly in consult window
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

so your saying.....if were tuning a CA18 on the dyno.....we have to swap between maps, and change both at the same time?
that doesnt sound like it'd work all that well when using map trace and + - keys.
can you link the 2 maps within your software?
ie....make it so it only shows one map....and when you change one figure, it auto updates the other map in the background?
jey_253

Post by jey_253 »

thanks, will work on better grounding. and i also would like to know about the single ignition map
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Actually... that rule is for the maps when it is treated as a knocking map.

For CA18 the rules are different here... what I could try and do in the software and link the two together for CA18

From has been reported, timing changes do have an effect on the engine in response to first (primary) map modifications
(although currently consult displays the interpolated timing for the second map)

Other option is to pass through the second timing value being read and work them both together. It means adding another consult register to the firmware.

I'll do the software change firstly to tune both maps, and then task in to add the consult register and display in my problem list
jey_253

Post by jey_253 »

Ok. for now i just put the values from the normal map into the knock map. i wont have a chance to test it on the car being that im working out of town for the next two months. Maybe it'll be worked out by then.
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thats right, you only noticed actual changes on the 'high' map

I'm just linking that thread to the other one investigating the change which I started looking at last year

viewtopic.php?p=2508&highlight=#2508

This is the main thread for investigating the code. I will spend some time tonight looking at this again since I've finished up work on the Type 4/5 and waiting for boards now
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

also remember:
although ByReal says he's ECU is using Knock timing map, while my is using Normal map but reporting from Knock map
I'll have to compare the code you guys are both using since you guys are experiencing different things.

I should be able to monitor the ignition signal on the scope and somehow workout when timing has changed from a reference point (say injectors as the timing reference)
JCD

Post by JCD »

's not very clear in my simple mind :roll:
I have a CA18DET. The filtered values that I can see and can edit in the Primary Timing Map, are these degrees advance or should it be interpreted differently?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

If you are using the S13_CA18_256_fix.adr file then your timing values in consult gauges will display correctly

In the maps, used the 'filtered' view for timing maps to get correct BDTC timing for the ECU

Use the main fuel map for your tuning. The ECU accesses this map when the TPS is off (not idling) and knock sensor is working (and not knocking)

When the TPS is on the idle timing maps will be accessed

When the knock sensor is disconnected, then the knock map is used and 5 degrees is taken off

When the knock sensor is active and used, then values form the knock map are used and timing is gradually pulled back upto a substantial amount
JCD

Post by JCD »

Matt wrote: Use the main fuel map for your tuning.
That's clear yeah, assuming you mean to use the main timing map :lol: