R34 tuning

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

blackvr

R34 tuning

Post by blackvr »

Matt, have we/you got the ability to tune R34 GTS-T's yet ? If you reckon I am not able personally, maybe you can assist me ? I have a customer here , and I have just fitted the usual.... GT30 turbo, front mount and exhaust . However , I need to remove boost cut, raise rev limiter slightly and adjust the variable cam switch point. ( as well as some fuelling ang spark advance).

Cheers Mike
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Type 4 boards support ER34 (RB25DET) which we are selling now in low quantities. ROM images available in the latest ROM pack

I'm resolving an issue with S15 right now (looking vehicle related at the moment) so until that is sorted we havent put specifically listed Type 4 boards yet until that is sorted

However we are running quite a few ER34 with no glitches so all good. I can install the board for you if you wish. Give me a call to arrange
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Mike,

I did an R34 board for a local place the other day and it all worked fine but I was surprised at how much power it didn't make. It just had a zorst and FMIC. Boost was increased to 12 - 13psi with std turbo. Made around 200rwkw.

Is the std turbo on these no good or what?

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Just reminding people currently only I have the bench facilities to test the ER34 boards on bench right now. PLMS need to check on that bench before sending off

Need to find another ER34 loom (not easy to get hold of...)
TSL

Post by TSL »

Look for a wgnc34 stagea loom. They seem to be easier to come across for some reason.
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

Sorry to go a litle off-topic, but do you plan to have any support for the obd-II 96 Zed?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes I am planning on those ... I've been emailed about that twice last night! I'm waiting for a JWT OBD-II 1996 300ZX board to arrive in the mail

Basically I've got a S14 KA24DE OBD-II here and I'm updating my programmer firmware/software to read the JWT boards from this which with one of my adaptors will plug right in. That way I can get the OBD-II program out. After that I will need to reverse engineer it. So going to take a little time.

So far I can read addresses FF00-FFFF which means the bottom 8 bits are working but need to get the 00xx-FFxx on the top bits which are multiplexed

Just depends how much free time I get.... also once I get that working it will also mean I have a mechanism to program up the Type 5 boards which have been sitting here for a while

Getting back on topic. I've swapped the ER34 timing tables around knock/main so they are correct now. Also the scaling for VE will be fixed in a beta release tonight. Needed to double the TP scale that I originally halved along with RPM (which was correct). Used the injector feedback in consult and updated maptrace to confirm this is correct

So it appears that you can adjust the fuel table and/or the VE table to adjust the injection
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Release is now up. Note that I had the VE TP scales wrong. This is now fixed in the 0.9.2.67 version
blackvr

Post by blackvr »

PL wrote:Hey Mike,

I did an R34 board for a local place the other day and it all worked fine but I was surprised at how much power it didn't make. It just had a zorst and FMIC. Boost was increased to 12 - 13psi with std turbo. Made around 200rwkw.

Is the std turbo on these no good or what?

PL
Pete, I didnt get a chance to check the stock power of this ER34 as the a blade had dropped off the turbo . The customer had a fully stock version and noticed a noise after he drove over a speed bump ! I have since fitted a GT30 turbo, exhaust and FMIC ( and a type 4 board). Started tuning , but I have been struck down with the dreaded lazy coil pack drama. At least two coil packs are leaking spark out the side ( from the windings). So I am just waiting for the customer to chase up some replacements ( not Nissan factory coilpacks). I was getting about 210kw at about 12psi up until then.

Ive done a few R33 RB25's with similar kit as yours.... I would say you are getting pretty normal results. Yes, the turbo runs out of puff after 12psi. It is absolutely a waste of effort in cranking up more boost on the stock turbo. It must be right out of its efficiency range and be overspeeding. The GT30 is a handy conversion... slighty laggier, but depends on what turbine housing you use. Some I have done crank about 240 rwkw at approx 18psi. Did you notice the pre cat in the stock ER34 downpipe? Just like the one in a late model WRX up pipe. It looks like a real restriction for higher boost. Bill at ATS does a really good conversion kit.

Take a good look at the power curve. I 've never seen a nice smooth power curve on a stock inlet manifold RB25. It seems to have some big dips at around the 6000ish rpm area. I have a theory that it is a inlet manifold/ inlet runner resonance problem..... Anyway, they all seem to give similar shapes.

So yes, I am a little disappointed in stockish RB25's !

Cheers Mike
ps I have also had good results using E85. Keep encouraging people to use it, so we can lobby for more pump outlets !
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Mike,

Yeah, they seem to deliver very average results indeed. Think I'll stick to my SR's!

Don't worry, I'm promoting E85 wherever I can! If it was more readily available I'd certainly be using it in my little Mazda 121 work hack (currently running E10).

I'll be doing another E85 SR20DET job in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately the owner wants to try and stick with 550cc injectors for now. So I guess we'll need to keep the boost level down. Should be interesting to see how much timing I can crank into it on low boost.

I tuned this car once before on 98 RON E10 and it delivered amazing results. But I've now had mixed results on E10. A couple of other SR's haven't responded as well, so now I'm a bit confused - and questioning the consistency/quality of local E10 brews. I think the regulations state that it may contain "up to 10% ethanol". If the percentage of ethanol varies then we can't tune for it!

PL
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

Matt wrote:Yes I am planning on those ... I've been emailed about that twice last night! I'm waiting for a JWT OBD-II 1996 300ZX board to arrive in the mail

Basically I've got a S14 KA24DE OBD-II here and I'm updating my programmer firmware/software to read the JWT boards from this which with one of my adaptors will plug right in. That way I can get the OBD-II program out. After that I will need to reverse engineer it. So going to take a little time.

So far I can read addresses FF00-FFFF which means the bottom 8 bits are working but need to get the 00xx-FFxx on the top bits which are multiplexed

Just depends how much free time I get.... also once I get that working it will also mean I have a mechanism to program up the Type 5 boards which have been sitting here for a while
Wonderful news! Thanks Matt!
blackvr

Post by blackvr »

Quote Pete...
Don't worry, I'm promoting E85 wherever I can! If it was more readily available I'd certainly be using it in my little Mazda 121 work hack (currently running E10).

Pete, your a smart guy.... surely you can install your own "flex fuel" switch? Maybe a dual circuit fuel pressure regulator controlled by a solenoid ? Flick the switch, raise the fuel pressure sufficient to flow 20% more fuel, and that should be close enough for a "perfect" E85 tune !

Cheers Mike
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Mike,

The technology (for Type 3 boards) is already there. Our old "EPROM boards" for S13/U13/N14/KA24DE/RNN14 hold 4 maps. So it's just a matter of completing your individual tunes using NIStune realtime boards or emulator or whatever, then programming your maps to the EPROM chips.

We even have a 4 map switching module. So you could theoretically have a map for basic 91RON fuel, one for 98RON fuel, one for E10 and one for E85.

Truth of the matter is though - most people don't have the skills/patience to go through with this. And if you're paying somebody to do it all for you it can get quite expensive to (properly) do multiple tunes.

But the hardware to do it IS there - and it's not expensive.

PL
blackvr

Post by blackvr »

Pete, I was referring to your Mazda 121.... :D . As you probably dont have the ability to have multi tunes on your Mazda, I was thinking of an alternative for you !

Mike
PL

Post by PL »

Easy to fix. Already got the bits in the shed for it. S13 SR20DE loom, ECU and sensors. Graft onto Mazda engine. Tune away! :)

PL