Knowledge Share Ca18DET.

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Ashley

Knowledge Share Ca18DET.

Post by Ashley »

Good Afternoon Guys…

I’m starting this thread to get a little information on the tuning being done around the world on the CA18DET using the Type 1 board. I will share my Tuned ROM Map once I remove it from the lap-top but I’m curious as to the timing you guys are running on your CA18’s.

I thought I would stat with a MOD list of the car so that my tuned ROM can make more sense. The Car is Running on 95 Ron Unleaded fuel here in South Africa the car boost pressure is 7 bar (10 PSI), I have set the AFR using a Zeitronix Wideband meter and the great data logging and wideband logging functionality. The detonation detection is done via Ear and all tuning has been done on the road, I have set-up the car to run between 11.7 AFR – 12.1 AFR at Wide open throttle the boost transition range sits at a nice 13.6 to 12.9 AFR range and Idle and part throttle are 15:1AFR and 14.9 AFR respectively.

My modifications list is a bit extensive.

• Cold Air Intake (3 inch inlet piping)
• 62mm Intercooler piping (Heat shielded)
• FMIC 600x450x76mm
• Z32 N62 MAF
• GT28RS Compressor (.48 A/R intake) non-ball bearing centre (.64 A/R Exhaust)
• Tubular Manifold (Wrapped)
• Divorced Down-pipe (Open Air waste-gate screamer)
• 76mm Stainless Megan Racing System
• Aries Piston
• Recirculation BOV
• Custom Inlet manifold (Short Runner, 60mm TB)
• Custom Ported Head (Polished and smoothed combustion chambers) 4 Port head
• 260 Degree Cams
• Zeitronix Wideband A/F
• Pro-Spec 2 Boost Controller
• Nismo FPR
• 255 L/H Walbro Fuel Pump
• 444cc Injectors

I need to ask your guys help as the car developed a hesitation between 3500 RPM and 5500RPM last week I have resolved this issue after looking through allot of stuff like fueling and so on by increasing the timing between those ranges from 19 Degrees to 23 Degrees, I can’t hear and Knock when loading the car I just want to know it any of the CA18DET guys have increased there timing this high before are these normal figures for those ranges and I’m worrying about nothing
Alrick

Post by Alrick »

I havent played with the timing of my engine yet.. just the fuelmaps and other small stuff... when I get a better understanding of editing the timing map i'll be willing to give that table a tune.. and then i could share my opinions on tuning the timing map..

My Mods are :

• FMIC
• Q45 MAF ( not installed yet )
• GT28R
• 3 inch free flow Turbo back exhaust
• BOV
• 550cc Denso Injectors ( not installed yet )
• AEM UEGO Wideband A/F
• AVCR Boostcontroller
• 255 L/H Fuel Pump

Idle - 16.1 /16.5
cruise - 14.5/14.7
Full load - 11.3 / 11.5

i played with the CAS a few times and can definitely feel difference .. so tuning the timing would gain some more power.. but just not confident enough to start playing with them..
Buddyworm

Post by Buddyworm »

Timing in your boost transition areas depends on, well, the boost. My maps move from ~28deg from just over 0 boost to 20deg at ~12psi and that's playing it pretty safe. You're probably good up to 20deg advance at full boost, even more I bet. I'm running a TD05-14b which flows similar to the GT28RS (IIRC) with a Greddy LS frontmount at ~12psi with 20deg advance as my minimum timing. Keep in mind the climate in Canada, where I live, is a lot cooler than SA but it should still be pretty safe.

You don't necessarily have to play around with the vaccuum and boost transition areas a whole lot either, Nissan got those pretty good already, but there's definitely power to be had up in the higher load ranges. Just remember that your timing maps should look nice and smooth in the 3d rendering window once you're done. No sharp bumps or drops.
Alrick

Post by Alrick »

Question :

Lets say i've got a basemap set for boosting at 15 psi....

if i wanted to alter this map so it would make the car run better at 18psi or any value above 15psi..
How would you alter the timing map ?
what procedures would u do to accomplish a better run at, lets say 18psi ?
Are there any other maps or settings that you will have to be edited in order to compensate for the higher boost setting ?

The answers to the questions above will be much helpful in tuning :D
Buddyworm

Post by Buddyworm »

First I would check to see what column of your ignition and fuel load scales the ECU accesses at 15psi of boost. Then based on that I would estimate what load value would be calculated for 18psi and use that to rescale my fuel and ignition maps. (A good technique for this can be found here: http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/id10.html make sure you scroll down and read the revisions in green text as well.)

At that point it's up to you to decide how to fill in your timing and fuel maps. Just remember, the more boost you put in, the more timing you take out. Use the timing values for the 15psi region of your maps and retard a few degrees from there for the extra boost.
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Hi guys

OK first off I have learnt a couple of things since my first post , The climate here is very hot mostly plus 32 degrees ambient and I'm making great power running timing between 27 degrees and 28 degrees with no sign of knock and no sign of knock on my plugs

But I am only running 10PSI max boost , Most guys around here only know how to tune SR20's they seem to run a lot less timing then I do but most of my timing is on Spec with the RB's here
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Good Morning Guys

Could I ask all the CA18DET powered guys on this forum a favor.
Could you post up your spec's and expected power or dyno chart if you have.

I am asking because there has been a lot of talk here that the CA18DET will not handle more the 200RWkw for longer then 4 months because the crank will break, the rods will bend and all other stories.
I enjoy my CA18DET and I need proof to stop the talk here also Im sure we can get a base on what the CA18DET can handle with a good management system and tune
streetbike

Post by streetbike »

hi all , here are my specs.

stock crankshaft
stock camshafts
SPOOL rods
CP forged pistons
GT2871R turbo with 56 trim and .64 AR exhaust at 24psi of boost
SPEC stage 3+ clutch
TODA 5kg flywheel
SPEC D exhaust 76mm
XSPOWER exhaust manifold
JDM SPORT intercooler kit ( ebay )
SARD 800cc injectors
Z32 afm

and of course nistune

I am running E85 fuel

here is a dyno chart at 22psi of boost, I must do another at fullboost

power is at flywheel :

before that, I had stock rods with 18psi of boost and no problem for more than 1 year with about 350hp at flywheel and 43mkg of torque
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Thank you guys

Keep it comming :lol: :o
21FOX21

Post by 21FOX21 »

401hp 342tq this is to the wheels
89 240sx
tuned on e85

CA18det
knife edge stock crank
shot peen stock rods
JE pistons
1200cc RC injectors
57 trim t3/t4 26psi
Ebay waste gate
tial blow off valve
log style manifold
port and polished head
272duration 8.8 lift Tomei intake cam
stock front wheel drive ca18det exhaust cam
Jun adjustable cam gears
ka24 throttle body
Z32 maf
XS power FMIC and 3" exhaust
clutch net stage 1
ka24 tranny
1 intank walbro 255lph
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, hope you don't mind Ashley.

I'm still new to all of this of NIStune, still waiting for my board to arrive, can't wait anylonger but know it is on its way :)

So, what I would like to ask, for now, is how to change a fuelling map to run other type of fuel ? what to consider, etc?

Once again, sorry for the hi-jack, if needed I'll create another thread/topic.

Cheers
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

some info here but not on the tuning. may need to start with k constant depending on how much fuel you are adding now
viewtopic.php?t=687
JCD

Post by JCD »

Z32 AFM and 440cc injectors.
Stock ECU with Nistune type 1 board.
LM-1 wideband O2 sensor.
Volvo IC and rad. Electric fan.
The exhaust is a 2.75inch Mongoose.
Fuel pump is Walbro.
Nissan pistons +0.5mm.
ACL bearing shells.
HKS metal HG.
Balanced pistons, rods, crank, flywheel and front pulley.
Mobil 1 "synthetic" 15W50.
Since the overhaul the engine has done 40000km of which 1850km on track.
Stock flywheel lightened to 9kg. Still alive after all that abuse.
Mocal 17 row oilcooler with thermostatic sandwichplate.
Arctic airbox with fishstick style K&N filter (= not a cone) from Captain Iglo.
Eaton M45 supercharger

The blue line is before tuning, the red after tuning of the maps.
OK the figures are not exceptional but the fact that the torque reaches 200Nm at 2200RPM is the result of my work and I must admit that this drives very well.
Attachments
20-01-2009 20;26;01f.jpg
(100.54 KiB) Downloaded 8565 times
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Wow thanks Guys

keep them comming the CA18 flag is flying high
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

nice work.
seems pretty good ...
man, I wish I can start to do my mapping soon... still need to do somethings first but it's almost there. in the meantime, I'm getting familiar with the software whenever I can.hehe