boost control using nistune experiences anyone ?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

sprout

Post by sprout »

That is a good way to do it yes....I;ve seen over 25PSI like this on a similar turbo to chris, so should be fine in that area

Not sure I've made myself clear, that diagram you posted up chris. The Block method - does it involve your custom adjustable restrictor (I wasn't referring to the stock ones, sorry) in the pipework somewhere or is it just using the standard solenoidwithout and additional parts. Or is it rearranging the pipework slightly? The diagram shows a pipe (intake manifold) and the box with 2 pipes on it the says stock solenoid above it - is that actually the stock solenoid you are labelling in the diagram or is it where a pipe is coming from?

Just trying to get 100% clear on the setup for block - it seems slightly easier if there is no restrictor to fabricate :)

Thanks

sprout.
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

yeah mate just straight pipework from manifold (boost signal) to side of stock solenoid and then actuator to front of the stock solenoid.. no restrictors or anything else required just swap the hoses around a little and be sure to block off the old bleed line to your intake pipe..

In the later diagram I have added a restrictor this is just because I am experiencing fade... ignore that one for now...

If you could do it would be great to see what results you get..

By the way Pete I have put in a 1.2mm restrictor.. to try was my old one that I made like grae's one..
sprout

Post by sprout »

Perfect, I will try that as I'm just running off what my actuator is letting me have (15PSI) but it creeps and I want it to hold a steeady 20PSI

Will let you know what I find - fyi it is a HKS GT-RS (very similar if not nearly identical to 2871 :)) running 740's and 256 cams and a z32 MAF

Reporting back wednesday ish!
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Sprout,

I'd be interested to see a log from your car once it's tuned. The GT-RS is identical to the 52 trim 2871R that Graeme is running. I've been trying to make a list of what voltage the Z32 AFM will give at what power level.

His is giving 4.4V at 215rwkw (DD dyno in Shootout 4F mode) on around 18psi. Yours should go considerably better with the cams in it.

PL
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

hey peter those flow tests you did with the solenoid.. at what pressure did you test the flow at 15psi ?

as for my testing will let you know through the week... I am looking into making a boost leak tester just to check a few things out.
PL

Post by PL »

I didn't do any pressure tests - I only checked whether the valve was open or closed.

PL
sprout

Post by sprout »

The head has been machined, valves and seats reprofiled too so it flows better...I had mapped it but didn't bother to play with K value much so now I have done that my tune isn't much good - remapping next week should sort that out.

Off boost is very nice though, torquey and responsive as. Better than the standard setup.

Pulls to 7.5k...I am hesitant to try 8k rev limit but if it makes power, I will try it!
Sorry for Offtopic I will start my own thread!)
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

hey pete,

can you give me details of your test rig ? I need some bench testing done... prob could do it on my spare ecu or in the car ?

does all the values need to be the same as per RPM ? I am still wanting to investigate the light / heavy duty settings..

there is some much mid to be lost by tuning the boost for high load..

I can tune it for when i hit it on a flat or slight incline and it goes well..

but then I give it on a hill and its too much... then tune it out and get it not so good on the flat..

overall I have reached a happy medium but think it could be soo much better.. looking at those er34 maps looks like they can do it ?

any ideas
PL

Post by PL »

It's kinda involved. Then again you seem to be a kinda involved guy... ;)

I started with a blue ECU connector with about 300mm of wire. Connected up the power and GND wires, provided main sensor inputs (AFM, coolant temp, TPS) using pots, wired in a Consult port, and built up a micro based circuit to provide CAS signal. Then hooked up the boost control solenoid and monitored it's signal with a CRO.

Yes, it only responded if I changed values a row at a time. Which makes it kinda pointless to have a 3D map but there ya go....

PL
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

Pete,

another question are you getting the boost signal on grae's car on the cold pipe where the stock bov is or off the compressor housing on the hot pipe ?
PL

Post by PL »

I can't remember where he's taking the boost signal from. I always try to take them post IC if possible.

PL
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

would be keen to know... could you find out for me ?
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

going to move the boost signal to the hot side...
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Chris,

Just spoke to Graeme. His boost source is post IC.

Hey, I did 2 SR20DET tunes for E85 the other day. Both basically the same setup - 52 trim 2871's, Z32 AFM's, 740cc inj.

Where they were different is that one guy had used the standard WG actuator but the other guy used a 15psi HKS actuator. Both were using Turbotech valves. The std one actually give better boost response - but gave a slight decrease up top. The 15psi HKS actuator came on slower but held boost a bit better up top.

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/custome ... 85_psi.jpg

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/custome ... 85_psi.jpg

Please note both cars (Datto 1600's) were actually suffering from wheelspin quite badly. That's where the curves are so flat. Midrange wheelspin was messing us up badly.

PL
[/url]
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

full boost by 4200 ? thats a little late isnt it ?

but good response though for the turbotech..

just got back from Perth... so hopefully get some time to try the hotpipe conversion..