Firmware

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

iceblade

Firmware

Post by iceblade »

ive just noticed that knock detection has been implimented for type 1 boards on a certain firmware and later.... is there any way we can check/update firmware on the boards?? i did search but came up blank...
Cheers
Joe
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Rev15 has the knock detection firmware
Rev14 has a stable version of pin lock firmware
Rev12-13 is the standard base firmware for all boards

Earlier firmware version numbering were a bit non standard between boards (Rev12 was standard for Type 1, Rev6 was standard for Type2 and Type3/4)

Rev is displayed next to the ECU part number when you connect to the board in Nistune

The light flashing idea isn't looking so do-able now since it apparently is a flash on/off kind of device so might not be able to flicker it on knock like I was hoping...
iceblade

Post by iceblade »

im sure you will come up with something amazing with alarm bells and whistles and big flashy lights matt lol
Seank

Post by Seank »

Matt wrote:The light flashing idea isn't looking so do-able now since it apparently is a flash on/off kind of device so might not be able to flicker it on knock like I was hoping...
Flicker? Flash?
Flicker time < 0.5 seconds?
Flash time > 1.0 seconds?

So it's not possible to flash a short sequence on the CHK ENG light, (similar to the diagnostic flash codes) when a knock event is registered/detected? or was the goal to flicker the CHK ENG when knock is detected?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

the goal was to flicker when knock detected

but apparently you can only program the LED to still/pulse and its slow to be effective for proper knock indication to the screen

so might have to just live with reporting on the laptop for now
OEM_Z

Post by OEM_Z »

What about just making the check engine light come on completely when knock is detected until it is reset in nistune?
Welcome to My DARKSIDE.....
Seank

Post by Seank »

Matt wrote:the goal was to flicker when knock detected
so might have to just live with reporting on the laptop for now
For tuning, I agree that instantaneous knock detection is a must, and am fine with using the laptop for that. OTOH, the scenario I was thinking of was someway to notify the driver that a knock event has occurred when driving w/o a laptop. Preferably it would react as quickly as feasible within the code/hardware/your time limitations, with the end result being some notification that knock has occurred. The driver could then take steps to prevent further knock events. (turn down/off the boost controller and reduce the GO pedal modulation.)
Matt wrote:its slow to be effective for proper knock indication to the screen
I'm assuming screen is a computer, but was wondering what your range for 'slow' was? 250ms, 1s, 3s, 5+ seconds? I'm trying to get an understanding of what going on, as this is something personally I would love to see as a feature. Any type of knock event feedback is better than what we have currently.

Thanks.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Another guy was looking into it for me. Basically from what hes saying is that the way the LEDs flash diagnostic codes about that rate which is about 500ms or so

They get pulsed on / off

I am still to investigate once the workload gets a bit lighter