US Z31 bin

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

DDS

US Z31 bin

Post by DDS »

Just tried doing an install on an 86 Z31 VG30ET last night to no avail, wont start. Back to stock for now until I get this figured out..,

According to the JWT list, i see that it is a 19P08 code base. I don't see this one in the ROM pack, and couldnt find much upon searching here or google...

Any chance you guys have one of these or do I need to get a chip burner and download it? Also, I noticed following the directions, it says to jumper J3 to J4, but this was already done on this ECU. This is the single board, dual ROM version ECU. I hadnt removed the second chip either; it does need to be removed completely right?

Thanks in advance!!!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Single chip 1986 models only need the 28 pin chip removed and no jumper changes

Program the board with the 1988SS VG30ET (26P00) ROM image and this will work fine

Also check correct pins on the 4 pin connector
DDS

Post by DDS »

Alright, I've got my customer leaving his car with me, as we were still unable to get it working. We reflashed the Nistune board with the 26P00 image, and both LED's in the ecu stay on and the car wont start. The factory chip still works when put back in the socket.

Ive checked all solder connections, pins of the connectors and they are correct by the Type 1 install document.

Also, I noticed that in the Type 1 diagnostics document, It says something about the jumpers. I'm not sure if the jumpers referred to are those on an older NisTune board, or the ECU itself. I tried clipping the J2, and no worky.

So what should I do next? I was looking for the MProg program, but I guess its not available anymore???

Thanks again Matt!

-Kyle
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

can you grab any photos of the installation (nice high res ones so i can see everything?)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

just some more follow up

Dont worry about mprog... that is for reprogramming USB identifiers and stuff if the PC doesnt recognise the Nistune board. We havent needed to use that in a long time

Also the jumpers are only used in the 16K ROM + 1K PROM setup. The jumper tells the logic chip to use both chips or one chip

However if you have a single 16K ROM (28 pin) chip and the only other chip is the NEC RAM chip then no jumper changes are needed. This is evident by the single factory chip you put back in is still working

Okay so the problem we have is that its the board itself, board programming or installation of the 4 pin connector

The board programming 26P00 is tried and tested, and if program successful then all good. Next thing is the PGM jumper and make sure that is unsoldered before installing. Next thing is the 4 pin connector. Most common error is soldering to the wrong chip (I've done this before!) or incorrect pins. You assure me this is correct but just double check the correct pins to correct wires (once again I've done this wrong before!)

After this it should work. If it doesnt but you have a Type 2 board there then try 26P00 on that and see if it runs to check the connector wires. If it does then good, if not then bad Type 1 board, try another if possible

If it is the Type 1 board then not sure why since we program, install to ECU and test each one. Perhaps something died? Static zap or similar? However usually if it programs/stores/verifies in the programmer then board is still good!

Let us know how you go. I've emailed my phone# if needed
DDS

Post by DDS »

Thank you very much for all you are doing Matt!

Ok, every time I have programmed the board (like 4 times now) it completes the program, store, and verification fine. I also doubt its a problem with the board, but is there any other way to test it and be sure? A buddy of mine bought a Type 2, so I'll borrow that from him and try it if we cant figure anything else out.

There are 2 24 pin chips. One is the NEC RAM chip, and the other i believe is a second ROM chip? Do I need to remove this also?

And I've attached photos of the pins I soldered the connector to, and the jumper settings that were on the ECU.
Attachments
PB030006.JPG
(264.61 KiB) Downloaded 2823 times
PA260001.JPG
(221.11 KiB) Downloaded 2823 times
PA260002.JPG
(231.44 KiB) Downloaded 2823 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

thanks for the pics.

okay you have 2 x 24 pin chips on there!

you need to remove the second chip next to the 28 pin chip completely

then put a blob of solder (or extend) between the J3 pad and J4 jumper

what you are effectively doing is removing an extra ROM chip which has fuel/timing maps on it and overrides the one on the 28 pin chip/nistune board
DDS

Post by DDS »

well, it worked!

thanks for the clarification :)

-kyle