Nistune locking up Vista laptop

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That last link has a section 'About the Aten driver' which will instruct you how to verify the driver version in vista and remove/update the driver

Follow those instructions and that should get you on the latest version

The aten website has the latest vista drivers, so I suggest using those

Let me know how that goes in the interim
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've removed optimisation from the compilation which will assist with debug issues and may consequently remove the accidental causes of some crash bugs

Please try out 0.9255 with the latest Aten drivers under vista and if you still have issues we can work from there

Optimisation can squish the usage of internal variables together and misuse of a variable can cause other variables to be overwritten and cause crashes

We can work from there
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

the .9255 exe comes up as .9254.

Yeah I got update from the UK site.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No probs. I've just fixed up the link on the website. I've ran logging today and problems have gone. Also some quick tests this morning with blazt cable on Vista.

Noticed my aten cable was not detected even after showing in device manager after installing drivers in Vista for the first time

Look at that more tonight
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

Update
doesn't
So I played with it tonight and it did not crash once. This was still using .9254
All I did was update the ATEN driver!
Now when the Consult disconnects it doesn't crash (when car shuts off), neither does the consult or wideband disconnect on its own now.

You recommend me still upgrading to the newer version?

I ran it for 2 hours with no problems!

thanks!

:D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Update doesnt? Sorry I dont know what you mean. Definately update to the 0.9255 version anyway. Changes are minor (I've been working on the knock count reporting with HCR32 at the moment)

FYI After fixing the link I've downloaded it and ran on Win98, WinXp and Vista machines and no problems yet. Problem with logger crashing has gone

This is good in one way since since optimisation is making a hidden problem come

Yeah looks like the driver was causing the crash with the disconnect, especially freezes which is why I started looking towards that direction. Google was definately helpful in this regard

I'm hoping the optimisation removal will assist the original poster for this thread also. However that is just making some memory allocation problem go away temporary in the meantime
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

I meant to say update: doesn't crash!
Jonh317

Post by Jonh317 »

I was using the plms usb cable, and kept having problems with .9255, so I wanted to update the plms driver, and the driver from their website was being difficult and then i noticed it was a FTDI driver, so i googled it and found their website, http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Downloaded their latest driver 2.04.06 and went out tuning and it was working smooth not freezes no problems. you would have to override the windows warning saying it may not be the correct hardware to software combination, but it works a heck of alot better :D !!! hope it helps, Matt might want to get plms to update their drivers to this if you can get them to look into it.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thank you very much. I'll let Pete know and get him to update the drivers and I'll add the latest to the next NIStune distributable.

Found and fixed a crash bug in one of the logging display files ... gradually weeding them out
PL

Post by PL »

Thanks guys. Drivers now updated:

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/usb_drivers.htm

Regards
PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'm currently in the process of updating the next installation package with latest FTDI (including Vista) drivers for the PLMS USB consult cables and Type 1 USB boards

Will be available in the next release
satanstinydevil

Post by satanstinydevil »

Vista sucks hard. I'm still using XP because I refuse to downgrade to Cista.
PL

Post by PL »

I agree. XP was a great OS. We didn't need Vista. Nobody wanted Vista. I'll avoid it as long as technically possible.

I suspect micro$oft will bring out their next OS and try to forget that Vista ever existed. Here's hoping...

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The latest beta version has all the newer FTDI drivers in them.

Make sure if you are running Vista you uninstall previous driver versions for both the USB device AND the COM port it creates if using PLMS USB consult cables