Rb20 won't run

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Hotrodstu77

Rb20 won't run

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

Hey guys just finished getting it back together.

Rb20det from an r32 skyline
z32 maf
deastchwork 550cc injectors

so the problem is it is getting so much fuel I can't start it. I've been tryig to go off the basemap but it won't do anythig. My afrs are 10.0 or less when I can actually get it to fire for 2 seconds and all I can smell is raw fuel. Does anyone have a map that i can try that should get me idling properly at a decent fuel ratio?

Thanks in advance. Nothig I do is working an it's very frustrating.
Hotrodstu77

Re: Rb20 won't run

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

there are no present codes on the ecu. consult cable connects. when i can finally get it to idle for a brief period it will show the data changing but it wont go any better then 10.0:1 or less. i tried using a basemap that someone else had posted for a similar motor with 555 injectors and that didnt change anything either.
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

this is the map i tried running off of.
Attachments
hcr32_rb20det_04U12_z32_555.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

here is the exact bin i just pulled from the ecu
Attachments
hcr32_rb20det.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

adjust the Kconstant. make sure it's on Auto and start sliding it to the left till it fires up.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

hcr32_rb20det_04U12_z32_555.bin

That file looks fine for starting from and shouldnt flood unless your injectors are bigger than expected or your AFM isnt the Z32 AFM you think it is or has problems

K constant of 208 seems about a good starting point, and pulling it lower should make it run leaner

Now was the Nistune board in before doing these modifications?

The best way to do things is usually the Nistune board, then test, then change injectors, then test, then change AFM and then test

That way you know what exactly is going on. Right now I dont know if its the injectors or AFM so pick which one you want to swap back to factory first and then try again unfortuantely.

you can try pulling your K constant down lower but it wont assist if there is a physical issue you dont know about (ie tuning around a problem)
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

thanks guys illl try that. i wont be able to get around to it till thursday now. im really hoping im not off a tooth of timing. ill check the wiring on my afm.
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

still wont run. maf wiring and injectors are all fine. my plugs are probably fouled by now but even still when we had it running for a couple min before my plugs failed when ever we tried to change things on nistune it didnt change anything on the car, i dont wanna have to keep putting 12 dollar plugs in every couple hours just to watch it run rich for 10 min and then foul ot cause its not changing anything.

as well as when ever i change the maf settings it says the system is trunctiating and then the program crashes. and when ever i try to change anything else it says read failed. anyon else had this problem?
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

you can try and unplug the major vacuum line from the intake manifold. That should lean it out enough, I had the same problem with my RB20 when I changed the injectors. It would start with the vacuum leak caused it leaned it out enough. I had to adjust the Kvalue till it leaned out enough.
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

ok......... so everthing poeple have told me dosent work....... I can get it to run if i drop the fuel pressure right down to nothing.... but that dosent help me...... I cant adjust the Kconstent..... it doesent change anything.... AT ALL....

every time i try to change the maf it still says the program has encountered a problem and crashes. any insight on this matt?
Eric

Post by Eric »

what happens if you unplug the AFM (while the engine is running) ?

if the engine stalls, the AFM is probably ok...if it keeps running then the AFM is the problem.
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

i tried changing the maf back to stock. didnt change anything. put another ignitor box on it. didnt change anything. even put a stock ecu back in an it still runs like crap. unplugged the 02, no change. the only thing that will allow it to run is if i back fuel pressure off to almost nothing,
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

Is it my computer tht is the problem as to why it encounters a problem everything I change te mad and it crashes the program?
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

Also when I change injector sizes it does the same thing.

I'm using windows 7 on a laptop bought brand new in December. Just wondering if this info helps.
Hotrodstu77

Post by Hotrodstu77 »

We tried swapping back to stock maf stock ecu and stok fuel pressure regulator and still nothing changed. Runs at 10:1 or less and won't hardly start. It so rich that I held a torch to my muffler and my exhaust gases literally lit on fire. I kid you not. So we tried uninstalling nistune and the Tom packs and uploading them again. Still nothing. Matt are you able to send me a bone stock rb20 map please. My main concern is the error message I get saying read error caught exception everytime I change the maf or change the injector size.