Does nistune need a O2 sensor ?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

RoyH

Does nistune need a O2 sensor ?

Post by RoyH »

hi,

I just installed nistune on my Euro z31 turbo. Matt knows a bit about the problems with these ECU's since they seem to be different than any other.
Never the less, i got my ecu back, installed it and tested it at idle and revving (not the way to test it but i want to check things BEFORE i make a run).

oke, with my stock ECU i get nice AFR's at partial throttle (cruising conditions). like 14-15-16 etc. nice and economical.

Now i tried this with my Nistune Ecu, i get 12, 12.5, 11, etc etc. VERY rich if you ask me.

I know that US z31's have an O2 sensor, Euro z31's haven't (none of them). Could this be my problem ? that it hasn't got a proper O2 signal so it won't be economical while cruising ?

Don't know how it works with a nissan, hey are new for me, but like our Evo's they have a target AFR which is corrected by feedback from the o2 sensor.
CGTuning

Post by CGTuning »

i don't have the factory narrow band O2 in my sr20det, just a wide band O2. works fine for me, i also have O2 feedback turned off
RB30-POWER

Post by RB30-POWER »

wow, can't believe it doesn't have an 02 sensor as standard, thought euro emissions were the toughest around...

if it hasn't got a 02 sensor as standard, it wouldn't suprise me if the hardware is not capable/present to accept the input from one either.

if the pinout and efi hardware was the same, you would be better of getting a jap/us ecu and hooking one up if thats what you want.

otherwise, just map it all in open loop to the desired afr and it should return similar economy.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The injection multiplier needs to be fixed up firstly.

What I gave you for the Z32 MAF / Injector combination you are now running

It was a best guess on the bench to get it going ... abeit on the richer side

You might have to pull this back a little (with the auto tick box enabled on this window) until the AFRs look more sensible

Only once this is sorted so the map in general runs better do you then need to worry about changing individual points
RoyH

Post by RoyH »

oke thanks, ill sort things out.

But yea, indeed in europe the Z31 hasn't got a O2 sensor. Also, in europe the emissions aren''t that strickt (at least not for older cars). the US is just a bit hypocritical. Expecially california. I mean, most american V8's etc seem to have a leaking gas tank..that efficient are the most US V8's. and import cars need to meet really high emissions etc (like the honda ZC1 engine was illegal in the gen1 CRX). Well, here we don't have anything else than the ZC1 engine (most powerfull crx engine).

Nah, we shouldn't complain, i mean, regarding Jap cars we get the most fun stuff ;) Jap-US import cars are all less powerfull than Jap-euro import cars).

What i just heard is certainly hilarious ! Friend of mine just ordered a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, it has 15hp more than the Jap version 8) (320hp as i recall).

Nah, europe isn't bad, its just that i pay 1,56 euro per liter fuel (thats about 8,7 dollar per gallon :evil: .... yesterday i filled up again, 146,- dollar :evil: (a bit more than 65 liter)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Remembering when I was in Germany how much the fuel over there cost. Because you guys get taxed a lot on fuel.

We get taxed a fair bit on fuel also, but not as much, but we one of the highest income tax levels in the world... upto 40%

Fortunately US dollar has fallen so the latest fuel increases havent been felt here ... yet
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Currently 99ron pump fuel here is about £1.10/litre. That works out as 2.6AU$/litre. Its the highest so far ever at the moment! Individual income tax is 0-40% depending on income amount, and company tax is 30% Everything you buy is also subject to 17.5% vat. Its hard for the car after-market industry at the moment, with the pound being so strong against the dollar so,so much import gear is coming in that there is allot you just cannot compete with.

Sorry for straying from the topic. Its quite interesting to see how things compare around the world, to top it off we also had virtually no summer this year, and instead highest rainfall since records began or something. Perhaps I should move to Aus!
RoyH

Post by RoyH »

thats about the same, i was talking US dollars, not AU. Never the less, i know england is also absurdly expensive. 98ron would come to 2,56 AU dollar at the moment.

Well, a week ago it was 1.48 EUR per liter, now its 1.56 EUR per liter...and rising (probably). THANK GOD i get 20 cent per liter discount at our rally team :P

our own mixed race fuel (better than Shell race 120 oct) is cheaper !! (cause of all the additives..about a 50/50 mix, costing a bit more than 1,- per liter :P

Lets move to venezuela :D, cheap gas, nice weather, beautiful girls ;)

PS: nah..about income tax... 1st step: 22% (to 25K) 2nd step is 36,6%(to 50K 3rd step: 60,6% (to 100K), more than 100K is 62% Tax.

But indeed, about 80% of the fuelprice is tax as i recall
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

$1.40AU is the current rate for 98RON fuel here. 10% GST (VAT equivalent applies to all goods). 30% is the company tax rate.

Dont be surprised about the fuel rates though oil prices $US per barrel is the highest ever... I believe we are at the tip of peak oil however which is the main driver behind price increases in fuel, tax just makes it worse
RoyH

Post by RoyH »

well we just have to live with it.
Just getting a bit less heavier right foot :D.

I just need to tune my car so its safe while under boost, and nice and "economical" under vacuum.
krissZ89T

Post by krissZ89T »

[quote="RoyH"]oke thanks, ill sort things out.

But yea, indeed in europe the Z31 hasn't got a O2 sensor. Also, in europe the emissions aren''t that strickt (at least not for older cars). the US is just a bit hypocritical

hi,
where are you in europe?
i live in france and my 1989 Z31 turbo have a O2 sensor,i just have a T3 turbo and as american 1987 ecu and 228bhp(stok).
in france all Z31 turbo(1986-1989)have a T3 not a T25 for 88-89 models
z31 one sold in France from 1986