Issues with loading 16K and 32K .bin files.

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

FlawleZ

Issues with loading 16K and 32K .bin files.

Post by FlawleZ »

Okay, I may be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out if so. I'm loading the specific .adr file that Matt sent me via email first, then selecting the .bin file to load into NIStune. However, anytime I open a 32K .bin it appears like this:

And anytime I load a 16K file, the values appear correct, but the RPM and Load scales seem to be quite scrambled:

I'm of course using the latest version of NIStune and I've tried this on 2 different computers and multiple .bin files. Even 1 32K file I pulled my own ECU. It's probably something I'm just missing, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay are you using a 32K file which was downloaded from a 27C256 EPROM chip?

If so then only the top 16K of the chip has the maps etc and the rest is blank. Explains the first picture

If you are using the 32K address file with NIStune, this is for our boards only. We put the ROM in the bottom 16K of the board and our firmware in the top 16K of the board

Use the 16K address file and open the 32K file with that, it should give you the option to select top/bottom of the chip. Select the top half

Save that file later on and it will save as a 16K file. You can then load that with the 32K address file and it will put it in the correct location (bottom 16K)

Let me know how you go with that
FlawleZ

Post by FlawleZ »

Thanks for the reply Matt.

To answer your first question, I have been using 32K files from both Jason's .bin file archive on redz31.com, a copy of 1SIKZ31's .bin file (for testing of course), and I even pulled a copy of the .bin file from my ECU.

I've tried various 32K files and 16K files to no avail. They're either blank as you see above, or the values appear but the horizontal and vertical scales are always scrambled.

I've only been using the default address file you sent to me via email for my copy of NIStune. I didn't know there was a 16K and 32K address file. I've followed the step by step guide from your PDF instructions by first loading the specified .ADR file, then selecting the desired .BIN file. When I do select a .BIN file, it does not give me a menu or option of choosing the "top/bottom of the chip."

I've yet to get a single .bin file of any type loaded into NIStune 100% correctly. I keep thinking I must be missing something but I've yet to figure out what that could be.

Thanks again.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The 32K address file supplied will only work with 16K files

Only will ask if using the 32K file if you get the address file I was talking about from the website. Download the 'address.zip' file on the downloads page and use the 16K Z31 address files in the EPROM directory and that is when you will get the prompt

Failing that, send the bin files through to me and I can try it out
FlawleZ

Post by FlawleZ »

Okay, I've downloaded the Address pack and used both the 16K address file and the 32K address file to no avail. With the 16K address file I do get the option to choose between top half or bottom half but it doesn't seem to make any impact on reading the files any differently. I still can't get several of them to even read, and those that I do the vertical and horizontal scales are scrambled just like the images above. I've tried resinstalling NIStune and even your latest BETA version just for the heck of it.

Any other ideas Matt?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/FlawleZ/workingsig.jpg[/img]
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Email me the files to the enquiries [at] nistune.com address and I can have a look at them here for you
Russ84NA

Re: Issues with loading 16K and 32K .bin files.

Post by Russ84NA »

FlawleZ wrote:Okay, I may be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out if so. I'm loading the specific .adr file that Matt sent me via email first, then selecting the .bin file to load into NIStune. However, anytime I open a 32K .bin it appears like this:

And anytime I load a 16K file, the values appear correct, but the RPM and Load scales seem to be quite scrambled:

I'm of course using the latest version of NIStune and I've tried this on 2 different computers and multiple .bin files. Even 1 32K file I pulled my own ECU. It's probably something I'm just missing, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I have had screens that look like yours, usually it is just the wrong address file for the bin I am using.
I looked at the file you are using of Jason's cobra file. Isn't that one he had on his RedZ31 site? If so it was used with live edit. If your first one was based on it and use a the 32 bit address file it will give you the messed up scales.
FlawleZ

Post by FlawleZ »

Okay, I have a few updates to my current situation.

First of all, Matt I will email you the .bin files I've been accessing and having trouble with momentarily. And yes, that's the same .bin file from Jason's site. I was just attempting to load different .bin files to try and figure out if it was file related or procedure related.

Anyway, I finished getting my car back together tonight and I was able to start the car at idle for a few seconds with the stock base tune loaded onto the rom. Then, I ate dinner and came back out to the car to hook up my laptop and check my consult gauges while the car was idling and after I syncronized with the ECU (PC Sync) I was able to load my base rom image into NIStune and it displayed the image correctly for the first time. Out of ~10 different .bin files (including my own) I was able to view them with the correct values and rpm/load scales. HOWEVER, I tried starting my car and now I can't get it to run. It seems to be getting plenty of fuel as it smells very rich yet I can't even get a single fire. I reloaded the ECU with the stock tune and it didn't make any difference. Also, now my fuel pump is randomly pulsating on/off after ignition is turned off. I think I remember reading somewhere that this means it's a corupted .bin file?

I'm definitely experiencing n00b problems I'm sure but it would mean a lot if I could get as much input as possible as our local Z dyno day is this coming Saturday and I'm REALLY trying to make it.

Thanks again for the input.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've replied to your email with how I opened those files. Two of those 32K files require 16K address file and looking at TOP half (ROM Image 2) since these were pulled from EPROM chips

Were you using the supplied address file when communicating with your ECU?

So the car doesnt start properly at all, even if powering off/on the ECU? Thats not good. It appears that you may have overwritten some of the ECU program code or essential data area :(

I dont know how that is possible since we have protection in there to avoid that, but somehow something important must have got overwritten

So does USB Consult still connect okay? You will need to email me. We will need to try and restore your original ROM image somehow. I have the feeling some parts of the maps have been overwritten with wrong data. If you still have communications, might be able to recover it
FlawleZ

Post by FlawleZ »

Thanks again for the timely reply Matt.

I sent you an email regarding my situation. And yes, I do still have communications with the ECU.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

What I might do is make up a special address file to grab/restore all the areas of the map which are writable and then we can restore them

Have a look at it tonight if I get time
FlawleZ

Post by FlawleZ »

I think I have it all sorted out now Matt. I replied to your email.

Thanks again.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've done some updates for this stuff. All the current address files that are 16K ROM in the ECU and marked as _256_ in the address files have now been renamed to _128_ as they should be

They will handle BIN files as 16K when loading/saving. Which is how it should have been done originally to avoid confusion.

I've also removed the EPROM directory out of the ROM pack. Our very early Revision 1/2 Type 1 boards are the only ones to need some of the files in this directory

All will be available in the next release. I've tested these new address files with Moates/Pocket Romulator emulators too just to make sure they work. An EMULATOR_OFFSET has been added to these address files to perform the upload to the correct ROM address inside the emulator. All looks good