Launch control

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Mads B (dk)

Re: Launch control

Post by Mads B (dk) »

i think i found somthing here http://support.moates.net/2008/08/30/2timer/

i know that i cant use nistune with this but as a temp. solution till matt or you get launch working within nistune
Zuikkis

Post by Zuikkis »

I have done a few launch chips for ca18 and skylines, with regular chips (no nistune). It's quite simple, just use double size eprom and use the extra address pin to toggle launch/normal mode.

It works really well.. Just a low rev limit (5000rpm or so), ignition really late and lots of fuel. :) Boost rises easily over 1bar while standing still.

With NIStune it would require some support from Matt to get it working. Type1 board has enough memory for two different chips in CA18, which perhaps could be toggled externally? Perhaps simply add an extra socket under NIStune that has the switch for A14 line.
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

Keep in mind if you use an external trigger wire on the highest A line, you should also put a 4.7v or 5.1v zener and a couple of resistors to limit both current and voltage, otherwise you can potentially fry the ECU if things go a bit silly. (i've repaired more than a few ECU's over the years due to this)

Stu
src

Post by src »

Long time I have no time to realize LC on my car. Now I'm back to this issue.
Matt, do I need to flash a new base image to enable launch control maps?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes you would. The base image requires modification to do LC. This means changing factory code to enable this feature and requires a new ENT to be programmed into the board
src

Post by src »

Why this design is so complicated? I think it is possible to store all rom data in realtime memory, isn't it?
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

Why this design is so complicated? I think it is possible to store all rom data in realtime memory, isn't it?
It's not quite that easy... The LC system requires a significant rewrite of the OEM code to operate. Putting the program into RAM requires an image from somewhere, so it kind of defeats the purpose. If you must know, the Nistune uses a NVRAM anyway!!

The special firmware and adr file ensures that the Launch Control system remains my secured interlectual property and stops people giving it away for free. It took a LOT of time to develop and test.

I'm doing some S14 testing this weekend too - so everyone get ready for a S14 version !!

Z32 on its way too. Just need my development vehicle's engine to be machined/assembled

Stu
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Basically it is not a good idea to reprogram the ECU code whilst it is running from that code

Other FLASH boards which have an external microcontroller can do this since a separate processor is involved and switches between multiple ROMs. But that is more complicated and requires more parts than the current approach
src

Post by src »

Matt, this is not related to LC feature, but I forced to buy base image programmer board, I forced to ask you for ENT files, to just use some maps I used a long time ago with my EEPROM boards. It's really a big pain.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Unfortunately thats the design of the system, boards need to be programmed externally (with a base image programmer)

Programming the boards requires ECU code + Nistune firmware = ENT file

I'm happy to generate more ENT files where required. If only mapping changes are needed then you can create new ENT files from existing ones inside File-Generate ENT file

To do that you load up the address file and BIN file that you need, then load an existing ENT file (with LC code for example) and that will copy the maps into a new ENT file for programming
spyder

Post by spyder »

skyline_stu wrote: I'm doing some S14 testing this weekend too - so everyone get ready for a S14 version !!

Z32 on its way too. Just need my development vehicle's engine to be machined/assembled

Stu
Any progress on this Stu.

Would be very interested to try this out.
guricha

Post by guricha »

Matt, i did't reed previous posts and sorry about this but i will do, is there any plans on RB26 and RB25 for Launch control ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Not at this time
guricha

Post by guricha »

Matt Any news expected reg Launch control ?
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »