Launch control

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Launch control

Post by Matt »

Stu is talking the Nistune base image programmer (not EPROM/EEPROM burner)
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

No, if your using Nistune, you must have a base image programmer to reprogram them !

The Base image is something like mec-d007.
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

So only Nistune base image programmer can program Nistune type1 board, no other company here that programs PICs or AVRs or whatever could do that?
It's MEC-D007, you're correct
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

No, the Nistune boards are programmed with a special programmer - if I write a launch code, It'll need to come back to Australia for a re-program and upgrade. International postage isn't slow or expensive. There's cheap international airbags available now ! (look for an Ebay bag at your local post office!!!)
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

I see... So it's either buying BIP, or sending the board to AUS and back. Round time will be 2-4 weeks probably.
And as any new code it can contain bugs in the very first versions, which would be cured only by reflashing Nistune again, right?
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

Cost will only be AU$40 + your desired freight method. This is far cheaper than an add on rev limiter box, plus it's one less thing that can go faulty.

Here's another option to limit downtime. You provide me a deposit for a Type1 board, I can program a new one ready to go. I will then deduct the CA18 Launch control and postage from your deposit, and when your old board arrives back here, [subject to testing] I will provide the balance of the deposit - At your end all you need to do is open nistune and upload your current maps (resync). There will be a new ADR file and operation tips. The guys using with the S14 version LOVE IT.

I have access to a CA18DET powered vehicle at my place right now. (not the best time at 6:45am to try it out though..) I just need to simulate the VSS input as it is missing its tailshaft. The code will be a proven package. Might see how the weekend goes for testing. [subject to weather conditions- it's totally shite of late, has rained every day for the last month]

I've ported the code to the MEC-D007 over the last few hours - seems ok on the simulator but a vehicle is the ultimate test

Stu
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

When Nistune was first being developed we used the willem programmer in DS1230Y mode to program the boards. This is effectively a RAM programmer. However the STORE (burn) sequence on the boards requires setting up particular pin address lines and then toggling the /CE line to activate the store. Modifications were made to the willem programmer to do this.

It only worked on certain version programmers since the printer port lines had sloppy signals to the board and the edge triggering was terrible. So we had to design a whole new programmer from scratch. We still had trouble with our first parallel programmers with some parallel ports signals not being upto scratch for accurate line triggering. New circuits were designed and we went to USB so no more problems now
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

As much as I would love to have launch control, for 40$ + shipping back and forth it will be already around 1/3 of dedicated box (that would do powershifting too). There are some major pros and cons to both approaches though.
That boards exchange option looks good, I thought about it myself but was hesitating to offer :D
How much will be shipping to Latvia by the way?

Also I remember when I discussed with Matt possibilities to increase logging rate (right now it's not that great, only 5 frames/sec, I sometimes see 1500rpm jump between 2 adjacent frames, and that's just accelerating. That's really too low, it's very hard to tune things like gearchanges), and he also said I'd need to flash new code to Nistune. So that might justify purchasing BIP more...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Originally when Type 1 was first developed we would stream out 20 or so consult characters in a single USB frame to the PC. This resulted in high speed updates and logging

However some ECUs suffered as a result of too much processing time (this happened on interrupt) so I did it character by character instead. Much slower. There is a better approach but need to look into it further
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

Matt wrote:Originally when Type 1 was first developed we would stream out 20 or so consult characters in a single USB frame to the PC. This resulted in high speed updates and logging

However some ECUs suffered as a result of too much processing time (this happened on interrupt) so I did it character by character instead. Much slower. There is a better approach but need to look into it further
So at this moment solution to increase rate is not ready yet? So no point in buying BIP now to fix the problem and get launch code at once?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It needs more experimentation. Might be able to use the stream approach with your CA18 thought. It was Z31 ECUs which showed problems
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Vetal wrote:As much as I would love to have launch control, for 40$ + shipping back and forth it will be already around 1/3 of dedicated box (that would do powershifting too). There are some major pros and cons to both approaches though.
I presume that box is doing this by cutting timing? We try one on SR and it kill valve train as it cut very hard... This method use OEM algorithm for cut and it is much softer and customized by Nissan to Your engine ...
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

skylinegtrhr wrote:
Vetal wrote:As much as I would love to have launch control, for 40$ + shipping back and forth it will be already around 1/3 of dedicated box (that would do powershifting too). There are some major pros and cons to both approaches though.
I presume that box is doing this by cutting timing? We try one on SR and it kill valve train as it cut very hard... This method use OEM algorithm for cut and it is much softer and customized by Nissan to Your engine ...
I think timing yes... You used this exact N2MB box? :?
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Vetal wrote:I think timing yes... You used this exact N2MB box? :?
Gizmo
their boost controllers are good but launch in to hard to SR rockers
Danielmcn

Post by Danielmcn »

Is this the smae for type2? I guess type2s would need a reflash too right?