What ROM image to use?

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

HermaN

What ROM image to use?

Post by HermaN »

Got an S14a ECU here (82F10) that came out of an EDM auto car. Now I want to be able to use this on a manual car without NATS. What ROM image is compatable that would remove NATS?

Would the "S14_SR20DET_83F00_MT_JDM.bin" ROM image work ok and remove NATS at the same time?

Cheers!
skylinegtrhr

Re: What ROM image to use?

Post by skylinegtrhr »

HermaN wrote:Got an S14a ECU here (82F10) that came out of an EDM auto car. Now I want to be able to use this on a manual car without NATS. What ROM image is compatable that would remove NATS?

Would the "S14_SR20DET_83F00_MT_JDM.bin" ROM image work ok and remove NATS at the same time?

Cheers!
In my address file it's wrote that 83F00 is ADM ?
We did use 80F00 JDM file on two cars without any problems ...
Or use 80F10 JDM I'm not really sure what this 10 stand for but on old 1994 S14 ECU's with 10 are making boost sensor DTC when used on car which come with 00 ECU.
PL

Post by PL »

80F00 is JDM, 83F00 is ADM. Neither use NATS. These are both manual images. Autos have a "1" in the second to last position - ie: 80F10 and 83F10 are auto.

It's not recommended to use auto base images in manual ECU's and vice-verca. You'll often get away with it - but sometimes it can cause very wierd faults.

PL
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

PL wrote:80F00 is JDM, 83F00 is ADM. Neither use NATS. These are both manual images. Autos have a "1" in the second to last position - ie: 80F10 and 83F10 are auto.

It's not recommended to use auto base images in manual ECU's and vice-verca. You'll often get away with it - but sometimes it can cause very wierd faults.

PL
Hmm, mine must me mis-labeled then. So could I use the 80F10 ROM image on my 82F10 ECU in a manual car and be ok? Or do I have to use the 80F00 ROM image in a manual car?
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

PL wrote:80F00 is JDM, 83F00 is ADM. Neither use NATS. These are both manual images. Autos have a "1" in the second to last position - ie: 80F10 and 83F10 are auto.

PL
Also DTC emerge when we use "01" ECU on "00" car (old S14) even when "01" ECU have "00" image on NIStune board, is this last digit also stand for some important model variation?
PL

Post by PL »

I believe there IS some issue with swapping images with the EDM units. But I don't have an EDM ECU to try it on... I swap JDM/ADM images all the time. But I've heard that EDM is different.

Usually going from an "00" to "01" just seems to be an incremental update thing - I suspect the cars get released "00" and then if they need to tweak something then the next release will be "01".

Interestingly they seem to "soften" the tune with later revisions. Leading me to believe that the maps are adjusted to avoid detonation when they've had complaints - probably due to inferior fuel and/or high ambient temps.

I could be completely wrong....

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

okay the unwritten rules for NATS is
- S15 JDM (non-NATS) on S15 EDM (NATS) will run fine
- S14A use S15 JDM (non-NATS) on S14A EDM ECU

this is since the S14A JDM image whilst runs has a fake rev limit cut about 4000rpm due to ROM image not compatible with other hardware (programmable grid array chips etc) on the S14A EDM ECU

With ECU part numbers (not hard/fast rule but what I've noticed)

23710-AAAxy

23710 = Nissan part number for a engine ECU
AAA = part number specific to vehicle/engine/year
x = designation for transmission
(0=manual, 1=auto, 6 = later model manual, 7= later model auto)
y = ECU ROM revision identifier (0 = first revision... upwards)

Compatibility notes:
- ROM revisions don't matter at all
- Manual/auto can cause issue with fake rev limiter cuts etc due to missing speed signal (doesnt matter most ECUs except ER34/WC34 raises DTC codes and other issues, and S13 KA24DE/S14 KA24DE fake rev limits etc so far... maybe some of the SR20DE models too but cant remember)
- Switching JDM/EDM/ADM/USDM can cause issues with some 16 bit ECUs. 8 bit dont seem to care but have observed customers having some running issues with switching Z32 JDM/EDM and S13 CA18DET JDM/EDM due to different sensors etc
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Cheers for the info Matt. So you would recommend using an Auto JDM S15 ROM image with my 82F10 ECU? Would this work ok on a manual car?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

from what I've seen that should work fine
oneten

Post by oneten »

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I have an issue with what I think is a NATS problem.

I have an Aus Delivered S14A with a Power FC currently fitted, its otherwise stock bar bolt on's like exhaust & FMIC, Power FC is tuned for these mods & 14PSI. Stock AFM, Stock Fuel etc etc. It might be worth mentioning that the car does have the Factory "Security" LED in the console above the stereo.

I want to switch to NIStune and flog the FC, but I have been unsuccessful in getting any OEM ECU to run the car.
83F00 is what I tried, and part number excel sheet says this is a ADM NON-NATS ECU, yet the car simply does not fire.
The donor car from which I got the 83F00 ECU in question runs perfectly fine with the same ECU.

To me it would seem NATS is the issue here but this ECU is supposedly a NON-NATS so I am confused as to why it would seem this way? I dont want to install a NIStune until I have an OEM ECU that I know will run the car.

The only ECU I know for sure is NON-NATS is the JDM 80F00 ECU but I am having crap luck finding one to use.

Cheers,
Hayden
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Hayden,

83Fxx ADM S14a is not a NATS ECU. I swap them around from car to car all the time.

You may find that somebody has fitted a JDM PFC to it and, from memory, you need to swap the 2 CAS signals and move the fuel pump relay drive signal as they differ JDM/ADM.

Probably easiest to just swap the 2 CAS signals on the CAS connector (it actually turns into 4 wires at the ECU which is a pain). Then swap the fuel pump wire at the ECU between pins 104 and 106. That should get ya going.

Have a look around on the interwebs and you should be able to find the PFC instructions which will include reference to all this stuff.

Pete L
oneten

Post by oneten »

PL wrote:Hey Hayden,

83Fxx ADM S14a is not a NATS ECU. I swap them around from car to car all the time.

You may find that somebody has fitted a JDM PFC to it and, from memory, you need to swap the 2 CAS signals and move the fuel pump relay drive signal as they differ JDM/ADM.

Probably easiest to just swap the 2 CAS signals on the CAS connector (it actually turns into 4 wires at the ECU which is a pain). Then swap the fuel pump wire at the ECU between pins 104 and 106. That should get ya going.

Have a look around on the interwebs and you should be able to find the PFC instructions which will include reference to all this stuff.

Pete L
Hey Pete,

Thanks for the reply. What you mention about wire swaps sounds alot like the procedure done when swapping an S15 JDM ECU into an ADM car, is this the same with the S14a as well?? I very rarely work outside of the factory ECU designed for car so this is a little outside my on hand knowledge zone. Ive only encountered this on R34 engines previously where the CAS wiring was mirrored on earlier RB's.

Also from googling I believe the car does indeed have NATS, but its the NATS 1 system which does not incorporate into the ECU. Only NATS 2 does. From the looks of things a little immob box just cuts a few circuits so should be easy enough to remove. Anyhow, now I know the 83F00 def doesnt have NATS I will keep fiddling and post what I find...

Cheers,
Hayden

EDIT: Ive looked at the pinouts now, and this will indeed be my problem. Apparently Apexi only ever made the Power FC to suit JDM so they wiring must have been changed, so Ive been barking up the wrong tree thinking I had a NATS problem all along :P At least its an easy fix.

Thanks again.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

With NATS2 ECUs they swapped the wiring for CAS lines and moved the fuel pump line also

If you dont get prime fuel pump with the non-NATS ECU then wiring needs moving.

To remove NATS using original NATS ECU:
S14A ADM image in > S14A EDM ECU
S15 JDM image > S15 ADM ECU

Other vehicles like P11, K11 can have EEPROM on NATS board reprogrammed without even needing the Nistune board. I have not been successful doing this procedure on S15 however