Nistune locking up Vista laptop

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Jonh317

Nistune locking up Vista laptop

Post by Jonh317 »

Hey,
Has anyone else having problems with nistune locking up vista os. Thanks.
Jon
crans

Post by crans »

Yeah i let Matt know about 6 months ago there is a problem.
At the time Matt didn't have Vista on any of his PC's to test with.
He probably still dosn't have it.
Josh K.

Post by Josh K. »

I have no issues with Vista and Nistune, used it for 6 months now.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The problem that crans had was with the DLP Design A/D converter whilst running NIStune. Apart from that I havent had any problems reported with Vista

Will Vista fit okay on a 20GB drive? I've got a spare one here and a new machine to play with. Just gotta get a copy. Which versions of Vista are you guys running and 32/64 bit?
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

I am having the same issue. Locks up randomly & regularly. I am going to try to run the executable computability for Win 2000. Running an emulator, consult cable and Innovate wideband.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay vista support is on its way. Fortunately I've got a new box to try this out on now

I should have it about mid this week and will install MS Visual studio on that and run in debug mode and start exercising the functionality on that OS

If the whole OS freezes then it might take some time to run through it

What I need to know in the interim is when you are seeing the freezing. So far I have:

(a) When using DLP A/D converter. Serial streaming through FTDI USB device (reliant on FTDI Vista drivers)

(b) When doing a sync to consult using PLMS USB consult cable. Serial streaming through FTDI USB device (reliant on FTDI Vista drivers)

Is there any issues with just streaming in data from wideband without consult connected?

Trying to isolate the issues here. Given most new laptops are running only vista these days, and most of these only have USB ports, I'm figuring most input will be some type of serial-USB device

matt
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

From what I am experiencing.......

Letting NIStune just sit idle (the program) it will not crash. Just sitting there when connecting to the consult cable and tracing the fuel\timing maps is when it typically has a problem. I am just sitting there watching the tracing, not performing any actions and bam! Everything locks up.

When the wideband disconnects (when its not supposed too) and I hit the button to shut if off and turn it back on it will crash the program, not the entire OS. The same with the Consult cable. This was occuring in XP and still in Vista. However I was still running .9248 not the new .9253. I want make sometime to try it tomorrow more.

Something else, this has been happening as well. When trying to select the com port for the Innovate, the drop down box for COM port selection doesn't bring up the right port #. I have manually changed the port in the device manager and when I return to NIStune and select the correct port it still won't see the wideband.

There has been a 50% chance in getting the wideband working.
The laptop has 5 USB ports. Emulator is on COM4, Consult COM5, and the wideband has been using either COM6 or 7.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

There have been no crash bug fixes that I know of since that version. I have a few on my list that I'm investigating at the moment

The worst thing is trying to make them occur on the computers I have here

So just letting the consult comms run will freeze up the entire OS? But only on vista? How long do you have it running for approx?

With the wideband disconnects, how long does it run for before the crash occurs. Were you doing any logging at all whilst this was occuring?

I've done a fix with the com ports, to list all of them. You have to close/reopen the configuration window for it to 'refresh' the list of COM ports that are available in the drop down. It has to scan through 100 of possible ports, probing each one so I only make it do it once when the window is first opened

If you can send me a debug log through of just the wideband connected, when it disconnects. I can have a look at the reason for the disconnect. The wideband stuff all goes through the Innovate MTS DLL. The disconnect would have come from that. Do you have similar disconnect issues with Innovate LogWorx at all?
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

OS locks up time frames are not fixed but have occurred within one minute of running the Consult and also runs up to 10 minutes with no issues. You can say its been getting annoying. I almost resorted to using NRE, EMutility, and Data Scan until the issues clear up. Dyno time $$$. So yes only in Vista, XP didn't kill the OS. I will run compatability for the exec in Win 2000 or XP and use the newer version .9253

Wideband disconnects also are not fixed but can happen within 3 minutes and sometimes will go for 25 minutes w/o disconnecting. When the Consult disconnects and or the widebands disconnect the program usually immediately crashes when hitting their buttons. I have the Debug logging button checked but no logs in the folder :(

I used LogWorks for about 4 hours last week w\o no real issues. It disconnected about 2 times w\in the 4 hours of running.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Totally understand where you're coming from. With my day work some of the tools we use crash on a regular basis so I know how frustrating it can be when you are in the middle of something and just want it to do the job

Apart from the issue with the DLP converter, only just become aware about the issues with Vista now its been mentioned on this thread

Its being worked on and will be about a week or so before I can get started at looking into it along with the log crash issue which occurs
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

Matt wrote:Totally understand where you're coming from. With my day work some of the tools we use crash on a regular basis so I know how frustrating it can be when you are in the middle of something and just want it to do the job

Apart from the issue with the DLP converter, only just become aware about the issues with Vista now its been mentioned on this thread

Its being worked on and will be about a week or so before I can get started at looking into it along with the log crash issue which occurs
I love the program and appreciate the dedication and support you provide.
Keep up the good work.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay I've got the new machine setup now after having to take it back to get the memory stick replaced :? (from looks of it computer shop doesnt use any static protection...)

Its now got Vista Ultimate on it so will do some testing on it and see what I can do to make crash here....
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

excellent! may the crashing begin I mean testing begin!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

unfortunately no crashing has occurred at all yet!

Can you let me know the following:

Can you confirm crash with latest version?
What version of Vista you are running?
How much memory on PC?
What type of consult cable are you using ? What exact drivers are you using with the consult cable?
What address file are you using and what ECU?
Consult just sitting there... Streaming / tuner mode?
Any other windows open? Logger / maps?
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

Matt wrote:unfortunately no crashing has occurred at all yet!

Can you let me know the following:

Can you confirm crash with latest version? Was running .9248 haven't had a chance to try 54

What version of Vista you are running? Vista Home Premium

How much memory on PC? 3GB

What type of consult cable are you using ? What exact drivers are you using with the consult cable? BLAZT USB, (will this work on Nistune boards?) Not sure what drivers. I never installed any on the Vista system.

What address file are you using and what ECU? Z32_VG30_256_E.adr

Consult just sitting there... Streaming / tuner mode? Streaming running with wideband on and emulator.

Any other windows open? Logger / maps? No just NIStune and the fuel map open with wideband trace running.