N62 (z32 mafs) issues

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

joos14

N62 (z32 mafs) issues

Post by joos14 »

I'm having a problem with my z32 maf acting up at times seems to only act up when i drive down the highway at constant speed say 70 mph for 30 mins or so... then when i get off the highway and let the car idle for a little bit it runs rich then lean idle is very unstable then when i go to drive off the AF ratio is way off and goes from very lean to very rich. i checked for DTCs when it was doing this and it had a AFM code. so i cleared it and drove for a little while longer and when i finally got parked and the car idled ok but when you rev the engine it limits at 3k just the same as if the maf was bad. i let the car sit for 8 hrs and drove it and nothing it acted fine. i had this same experience last yr at summer time and i had to replace the maf and its been fine all yr till now. just wonder if anyone else has had this same experiece or not. any suggestions would be great too. im debating on changing to a ford lightning maf or just sticking with the z32.
thanks
KillerB

Re: N62 (z32 mafs) issues

Post by KillerB »

Could very well be a bad connection inside the afm connector.

I had one which gave me inconsistent afr's mostly at idle. In the end I just soldered the wires directly to the afm, and it has been rock steady ever since.

Perhaps you can try to jiggle the connector when idling, if rpm or afr suddenly changes you're likely to have a bad connection.
joos14

Re: N62 (z32 mafs) issues

Post by joos14 »

very good idea. perhaps next time it throws a fit i'll jiggle the harness and connector and see what happens.
thanks for the advice